Dewey Academy believes in your students' success.
Please take the time to contact us regarding your students' success.
Every Day Counts!
Every day counts in a child's education. Every day a student misses school, he/she is more than two days behind his peers. Every day a student is in school, he/she benefits from direct instruction and raises his or her chances to score well on fundamental testing while learning a valuable lesson in the life skill of responsibility. Absences, excused or not, also take away valuable funding from our school.
Attendance is compulsory by law and is the responsibility of all students and parents/guardians.
Dewey Academy absences can be cleared by telephoning or sending a note with the student. All notes and messages related to absences or tardies must be processed by the Attendance Coordinator, Ms. Webb 510-879-8310.
To clear an absence:
- Write a note with your student's first name and last name
- The date(s) they were absent
- The reason they were absent
- Parent signs their name and today's date
- Student drops the note off in the black metal basket signed "DROP OFF" in the attendance office.
- Parents/ guardians may also call Ms. Jamilah Webb, the attendance coordinator at (510) 879-8310. You can leave a message.
What absences are excused?
Absences are excused when reported within 48 hours of absence, as defined by California Education Code 48205.
Absences that are considered excused are:
- Due to his or her illness (hospitalized)
- Due to quarantine under the direction of a county or city health officer.
- For the purpose of having medical, dental, optometrical, or chiropractic services rendered.
- For the purpose of attending the funeral services of a member of his or her immediate family, so long as the absence is not more than one day if the service is conducted in California and not more than three days if the service is conducted outside California.
- For the purpose of jury duty in the manner provided for by law.
- Due to illness or medical appointment during school hours of a child of whom the pupil is the custodial parent.
- Appearance in court.
- Attendance at a funeral service.
- Observance of a holiday or ceremony of his or her religion, attendance at religious retreats.
- For the purpose of serving as a member of a precinct board for an election pursuant to Section 12302 of the Elections Code.
- For the purpose of spending time with a member of the pupil's immediate family, who is an active duty member of the uniformed services, as defined in Section 49701, and has been called to duty for, is on leave from, or has immediately returned from deployment to a combat zone or combat support position. Absences granted pursuant to this paragraph shall be granted for a period of time to be determined at the discretion of the superintendent of the school.